Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Field trips.

I always enjoyed going on field trips when I was in high school, and I've enjoyed chaperoning them just as much during my time at St. Ignatius College Prep. In March I joined a group of first-year Latin students on a visit to the Field Museum to see the justly-acclaimed exhibit Pompeii: Stories from an Eruption. Today I accompanied a group of freshman world history students to the Art Institute of Chicago. In preparation for the trip, each student researched a particular work in the Art Institute's collection and prepared a short oral presentation explaining the work's artistic and historical significance. Upon locating his or her work of art in the museum, each student delivered his or her presentation in front of the class and other museum visitors. The Art Institute of Chicago never fails to impress me - each time I go to the museum, I've had the experience of stumbling upon a famous painting or sculpture and thinking to myself, "I didn't know that was in Chicago." Today I was equally impressed by the students' excellent presentations, which reflected careful research and keen insight. After finishing up at the museum we went to Millennium Park, where the kids took advantage of a fine spring day to eat their bag lunches near the Crown Fountain and where some had even more fun by throwing a frisbee around. There is much I will miss about St. Ignatius, but I suspect I'll miss experiences like this the most - experiences that manage to combine academic excellence, the advantages of being in downtown Chicago and simple fun. AMDG.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home