Thursday, April 27, 2006

The General at prayer.

As I noted in this November post, Jesuit superior general Father Peter-Hans Kolvenbach is a priest of the Armenian Catholic Church, one of the Eastern Christian churches in communion with the See of Rome. For your edification, here's a photo of Father General celebrating the Armenian Divine Liturgy in a chapel at the Jesuit Curia in Rome. This picture is part of a 1988 photo essay by Father Don Doll, a Jesuit photographer based at Creighton University. Father Doll's photos of the General offer a rare inside glimpse of life at the Society's Roman headquarters, and I'm happy to commend them to your attention. AMDG.

5 Comments:

At April 28, 2006 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, I had no idea! I lived with an Armenian family when I studied in Russia, and I suspect my faith would still be anemic (or I would no longer be Christian) if it hadn't been for living with them. They were part of the Armenian Apostolic Church, which is Orthodox, but I am constantly impressed with the spirituality of the Armenian churches.

Thanks for the link to the photo essay!

 
At April 28, 2006 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great! Thanks Joe!

Peace,

Jake

 
At April 29, 2006 2:48 PM, Blogger Joseph Koczera, S.J. said...

Chris,

Sounds like the Armenians made a strong impression on you. My own contact with the Armenian churches has been very limited so far, and I hope to get to know them better in the future. Thanks for your comments - pax,

Joe

 
At April 29, 2006 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been to Armenian mass, for Talanian's mother. It has to be one of the most elaborate and beautiful ceremonies and rituals I have ever been too. The dedication they exhibit to their faith is very impressive.

 
At April 30, 2006 4:32 PM, Blogger Joseph Koczera, S.J. said...

Liz,

Yes, I remember when you went to the Talanian funeral - sounds like quite the experience.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home