Monday, May 16, 2005

On the Road.

In a typical workday at Catholic Charities I spend at least forty minutes on the road. I spent part of the day working on various projects around the office and part of the day teaching English to a Burundian refugee family at their home in Sunnyvale, a twenty-minute drive from Catholic Charities’ offices in San Jose. The drive back and forth gives me a chance to listen to the radio (NPR when I’m a newsy mood, Live 105 when I’m not) and occasionally provides entertaining food for thought as well. For example, on the way to Sunnyvale today I noticed that the driver in front of me was shaving his head with a battery-operated electric shaver as he went down the road. Now, multitasking of this kind no longer surprises me, but I couldn’t help but wonder whether the same lawmakers who have been working to eradicate cell phone use by drivers will soon consider the issue of haircutting in moving vehicles. Listening to the radio on the way back from Sunnyvale, I happened to hear “Friday I’m in Love” by The Cure. I wondered then at the motivation of the DJ who opted to play such a tune in the middle of a Monday workday: was this a flash of wicked humor or merely whimsical escapism? In the words of the classic Tootsie Pop commercial, the world may never know. AMDG.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home