Thursday, March 31, 2005

Cesar Chavez Day.

Today is a California state holiday, in observance of which Catholic Charities of Santa Clara gave all its employees the day off work. Cesar Chavez's inspiring life story and continuing work are worth knowing about, so check out the provided links for more info. I took advantage of the day off to explore downtown San Jose, one of the more attractive, vibrant and happening urban centers I've encountered (as icing on the cake, I got to park for free because of the holiday). While downtown I attended a noontime Mass at the Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph, which (continuing a theme) happens to be one of the more beautiful cathedrals I've seen. For lunch I made my maiden visit to a much-revered California institution, In-N-Out Burger. In-N-Out deserves the great word of mouth it typically receives. I can't say that In-N-Out provided the best burger I've ever had (I'd have to think a while before deciding who gets that award) or even that it provided the best chain restaurant burger I've ever had (that award goes to Fuddruckers), but I can say that In-N-Out provides a lot more value for money than most other fast food burger joints. I'll definitely be going back, particularly to sample some of the intriguing combinations on In-N-Out's celebrated "secret menu." So thank you, Cesar Chavez, not simply for fighting for social justice and the rights of workers, but also for indirectly giving me the opportunity to further explore the lovely area that I'm privileged to call home for the next couple months. AMDG.

1 Comments:

At April 05, 2005 12:28 PM, Blogger LilBucner said...

ah, Fuddrucker's. I believe most Fuddrucker's have closed lately. I haven't seen one in a while, and (AFAIK) the one we went to on Rt. 1 that time was closed soon after. i found that out when I tried to return there with some other people and found it shuttered.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home