Friday, November 19, 2004

A Weekend at Fort Benning.

In a few hours I and many of the other novices and Loyola House staff will be heading down to Columbus, Georgia for the annual School of the Americas Watch vigil at Fort Benning. Never having been to the event but having heard much about it, my sense is that it will be part-conference and part-protest. I'm not typically the protesting type, and I look at my participation mainly as a way of learning more about the issues involved and of sharing fellowship with the many other Jesuits that will be there (this is an issue that the Society takes personally, given that SOA graduates were among those responsible for the murder of the Jesuit martyrs of El Salvador). I also see my going as a logical extension of some of the work I did in law school on international human rights issues. Hopefully I'll have some interesting things to say when I get back - until then, please pray for me and the other members of the LH community who'll be going. AMDG.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home