Saturday, February 11, 2006

"I'll be the judge of that . . ."

Last night I attended a St. Ignatius varsity boys' basketball game at my brother novice Jake Martin's alma mater, St. Laurence High School in Burbank, Illinois. The St. Laurence Vikings provided the Wolfpack with some notably stiff competition, leading for most of the game until St. Ignatius finally pulled ahead and won by 67-62. Jake, I'm sure you're eager to hear my impressions of St. Laurence, so here they are: In its architecture and layout, St. Laurence seemed a carbon copy of many another suburban high school built in the 1950's and '60's. I was a bit surprised that St. Laurence is housed in a one-story building, but since it's a relatively small school I suppose the scale makes sense. The only discernable hints that the school was Catholic and not public were relatively subtle, such as the fact of an all-male student body and the presence of a handful of Christian Brothers (though I wouldn't have identified them as such if they hadn't been pointed out to me). St. Laurence left a decidedly positive impression on me, perhaps in large part because its design and physical setting closely resembled those of my own high school. It was also good to finally see a school of which I've heard so much - I hope you're happy, Jake. AMDG.

2 Comments:

At February 12, 2006 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Joseph! Never thought that you would actually make it to the friendly confines of STL. It is indeed a very small school. Were the Bros not in their clerics? I wonder how many there are nowadays? There was a whole lot when I was there. Glad you got a chance to put a place with all of the stories that I have told. I am heading up this weekend to Chicago. Will call or e-mail before then so we can meet up!

Peace,

Jake

 
At February 13, 2006 8:57 PM, Blogger Joseph Koczera, S.J. said...

Jake -
I didn't get a sense of how many brothers are there now - there were at least a couple at the game, but they were in civvies and I only noticed them because they were pointed out to me, i.e. "There's Brother So-and-So." However, there could be more CFC's at STL who simply weren't at the game - few of the Jesuits at Ignatius attend our basketball games regularly, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a similar story with the CFC's at STL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home