Tuesday, May 31, 2005

"Yes - I am the real Inspector Hound!"

Jacob Bernstein was right - Mark Felt was Deep Throat. The former FBI associate director who spent years denying his role in Watergate now admits at age 91 that, yes, he was the secret source who handed Washington Post reporters Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein the scoop of their lifetimes and and ultimately helped drive Richard Nixon from the White House. The political junkie in me greets the final revelation of Deep Throat's identity with some ambivalence. On the one hand, I'm thrilled to know the answer to a political riddle people have been speculating about for longer than I've been alive. On the other hand, though I knew this day would come I'm sad that political junkies yet born will not have the experience of wondering about the identity of this important but mysterious figure from America's political past. Secrets like the identity of Deep Throat help make our world a more interesting place. There's something great about the revelation of a long-kept secret, but the non-revelation of secrets carries a certain mysterious delight as well. I could probably draw a connection between the revelation or non-revelation of secrets and the nature of religious faith, but I think I'll hold off on that. For now, I'm simply going to sit with the knowledge that tonight the world contains one less secret than it did yesterday. AMDG.

7 Comments:

At June 01, 2005 12:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, in many ways, just like in faith, the mystery deepens with each revelation.

Know we know who--but the why is now dramatically more complex. Is it possible that this was a "right wing" conspiracy? That Felt was trying to take down Nixon (or Felt's more direct boss) for being too liberal?

The mind boggles.

 
At June 01, 2005 12:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That should be "Now we know who."

 
At June 01, 2005 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given the current US administration, I doubt the world "contains one secret less than it did yesterday." Between the reasons for the Iraq War, Abu Gharib, Guantanamo ... I would guess an overwhelming net gain.

 
At June 02, 2005 9:40 AM, Anonymous Stephen Silver said...

"The Real Inspector Hound"- I remember that. Think any of your other readers got that?

 
At June 02, 2005 7:33 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Anon -
I'm sure there has been a net gain in the number of official secrets since George W. Bush took office. However, I'm hoping no new ones cropped up the same day Deep Throat's identity was revealed. I also hope that it doesn't take as long for the secrets of the Iraq War, Guantanamo, etc. to come out as it took for Mark Felt to fess up.

Steve -
I don't know how many Tom Stoppard fans I have among my readership, but if someone other than yourself got the reference, I'd like to know.

 
At June 03, 2005 12:13 AM, Blogger Susan Rose, CSJP said...

Bob Woodward has a fascinating "tell all" piece in the Washington Post today.

He knew the guy, for years, but yet the cloak and dagger stuff all happened too.

Interesting.....

 
At June 05, 2005 11:36 AM, Anonymous Matthew Hodgson said...

Can you provide me with an e-mail address of Mike Conley, please? I see you recently had dinner with him. He's an acquaintance from some time ago with whom I'd like to get into contact. My e-mail address is matthewhodgson@fuse.net. Thanks much. Matthew Hodgson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home